Finished thread  All Souls Pass (Read OOC)
Viewing: 1 Guest(s)
Sekirei She/Her
Resident Changling
Nardir
Pronouns: She/Her

(This post was last modified: October 30, 2018, 05:01:23 PM by Sekirei.)

(This is the end for Byakko. Please allow Kimster to post first and wait for me to open this for anyone else who wishes to join. Anything italicized is a private mental conversation.)

Sad song to set the mood: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSn2tc7pPBs

The sun was beginning its ascent, still hidden behind the horizon. A lone figure slowly walked from the dens. Byakko's head hung low, the weight of the world on his back. He was so tired. His ears could hear the rustle of leaves and his nose breathed in the scents of his adopted homeland, finally reclaimed the wilds after it was stolen from Nardir and abandoned by Asylum. He moved like a wraith, his mind empty of all thought, save for one. He wanted to go to the burial mounds. He knew deep in his heart that his time had come. Like any wolf, he had left the den site for the final time without saying a word.

Upon reaching the mounds, he made his way to where Silverstream was buried. Not a moment too soon because the moment he stood next to it, his hips gave out and left him paralyzed. Such was the fate of a wolf his size and age. "Hello, my love." he said in a raspy voice. He lowered his front end down so he was lying on his side and his back was against the mound. He listened to the river flowing nearby, his breathing even. He saw a black shape out of the corner of his eye and looked. For the first time since it started, he could finally see him. Standing about five feet away was a monstrous black wolf with one eye of red and the other blue. He was looking down at Byakko with a neutral expression. The monochrome wolf just took a deep breath and let it out with a sigh. So it was true what they said in the old legends. How the Black Wolf came to those who were dying to shepherd them into the Deadlands and then guided them to the Afterworld.

The entity he saw looked ethereal with tendrils of darkness wisping off his body as if he were a ghost. His eyes had a supernatural glow to them, easy to see in the half-light as the sun continued to hide behind the mountains. It reminded the old wolf of how the Fury had made his eyes glow when in its grip. "It ends with me, doesn't it? The curse you set on my ancient ancestor?" he asked. His question was met by a nod but the Black Wolf didn't speak. He merely watched as Byakko shifted his head to look at the river flowing, the wind blowing the boughs of the willow tree above him. Melancholy settled in his spirit and facial expression. He wondered how long it would be before anyone noticed he was missing. Would they even notice in time? It ultimately didn't matter. Byakko was dying where he belonged, in the Old Forest. The place that Lindras sprung up as Nardir's Shadow, as far as his family went. He had lived a good life, in spite of his many regrets and failures. He had his triumphs and his heartaches. He had his memories. 

His eyes shifted back to his spectral companion. "Aylie is the failure of my Clan. One that will forever hang over our heads even when mortals forget. You know this." he sighed. "She is your failure...but not one so great that it will dog your Clan's pawsteps from now to the End. Ayliyra, like all souls who come before me, will face judgment for her successes and missteps. Your failure only extends as far as failing to keep her in line. She alone decided to rebel against authority. Only she can answer for that. Her father, I can assure you, will face justice at my fangs for his role in all this. His failures outweigh yours by a very wide margin and I will make sure he pays a hefty price. He will most certainly try but fail to catch anything faster than a vole in the Hunt when I'm through with him. You'll know him when you see the mangled soul of a wolf enter the Afterworld."the specter said.

Byakko fell quiet. Anything that needed to be said to the Reaper had been said. He felt more at peace knowing what he did now. Then his mind turned onto old regrets. He needed Raka.

If Roman Reigns has millions of fans, I am one of them. If Roman Reigns has only one fan, that is me. If Roman Reigns has no fans, I'm no longer in the world.

Hail the Roman Empire. Hail the Guy. Roman Reigns fan for life.
Kimster Eh
Sparkles a Little
Packmate
Pronouns: Eh

(This post was last modified: September 20, 2018, 04:15:28 AM by Kimster.)

(FYI: she'll be referring to her previous pack, but my memory is sketchy and I couldn't find any of the old info, so will embellish a teensy bit)

A black shape moved through the lush bush, a silent spectre flitting around trees. You might catch a brief glimpse of pearlescent orbs glimmering in the shadows, before disappearing. The shape paused, clasping the shadows around her like a cloak, standing perfectly still, her face an impenetrable mask.

She. Was. Back.

Raka. Former Queen of Annora. Mate to Byakko.

She remembered everything - every single thing, everyone she'd ever met, every decision she'd made - good, back or indifferent - she remembered! She strode onwards, effortlessly melting away in the background, scaring a few squirrels into heart attacks. She was once more the living shadow, the assassin in the dark. Wherever she went, a coldness lingered. Her memories fast-played across her mind in bright, vivid colours. She revelled in reciting the names of her pups, the faces of her friends. She took each memory and turned it around in her mind, enjoying it's clarity.

Her pawsteps quickened. Raka felt so good - she walked easier, her joints didn't creak, it was as if five years had just been taken away from her. She felt young again, and peaceful. A peacefulness that she'd once had with Byakko had the height of Nardir's reign

She mustn't be late. She had a promise to keep and a journey to make. Her final journey. She knew Byakko was nearing his end. She just knew. And perhaps as a final favour, the gods have decided to return her memory. To make her and Byakko's goodbyes easier and sweeter, the gods have granted her, her dearest wish. Finally she came at the burial mounds, and saw his big shape lying there. The flatness of his back legs were indicative of problems - but did it matter now? No. Her head turned to the black spectre looking at her beloved, and she grinned.

As if the shadows were a cloak, she seemed to materialise out of darkness - a black, living spectre herself. She came out right in front of Byakko. Her head held high, her pearlescent orbs shining with triumph and pride, she first caught the gaze of the entity, and nodded in respect. Raka was the Ard Bantiarna of the Scatha Tuath. The queen and priestess of the goddess of death. She greeted the entity as on old friend.

Only after the spectre returned her greeting, would she lower her gaze to Byakko. To her he was still the vibrant, strong, handsome male she'd first come to know. His spirit shined through him so brightly, she couldn't see his old husk anymore. She smiled and dropped her creepy aura - there was no need for it. Not now.

"Byakko. Love of my heart." she said and moved close to him, cuddling up to him on his other side. She rested her chin on his shoulders, smiling at Silverstream's grave. She squinted a little - were there other misty shapes just beyond the corner of her eyes?
Sekirei She/Her
Resident Changling
Nardir

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTKKQIFPWkg

The Black Wolf had noticed her before he did but Byakko felt a smile tug on his maw when Raka materialized out of the mist. He was a bit surprised when she nodded in respect directly at the spectral shepherd. The Reaper nodded back without a word but despite his unreadable expression, Byakko was willing to wager the entity was pleasantly surprised to be greeted by another on death's door without any kind of fear. He was probably used to wolves bargaining for more time or quiet resignation. Raka seemed different. Had she remembered something, now that they were both at the end? The way she carried herself was indicative of the Raka he had used to know before she lost her memories.

"Byakko. Love of my heart." she said, dropping down to cuddle next to him. Her head was on his shoulder so she faced the grave on his other side. The old wolf's heart physically ached as he relished in this. "So you've come back to me. I'm glad." he said. He licked his lips before shifting his head upwards to lick her face. His head hit the ground with a thud. His energy had taken quite the hit from that small action. A sign of things to come. "Amazing what being at the end of all things brings to mind. I have...so many regrets." he sighed. His gold eyes looked towards the river and some tears leaked out. "My greatest regret is that I didn't love you as much as I should have. She always...always came first. I thought I had accepted her death but here at the end, I see I was just fooling myself. I did you wrong, Raka, and I'm sorry. You deserved better." he rasped. His useless hips ached and his heart was torn to shreds.

Byakko felt completely destroyed. Raka had been with him far longer than Silverstream had before she disappeared. He should've been able to put her first. She was the mother of his pups and the grandmother to Sara's own brood. But it seemed that Silverstream had taken his heart with her to the Afterworld, leaving very little behind. He loved Raka, make no mistake, but he felt that he should've done a lot more. It was the greatest regret he didn't know he had until now. Up to this point, he thought his greatest regret was not helping Akutan enough or doing more to get Aylie back on the path of right action. No, his mind kept flashing back to the day after the blizzard so long ago and coming across Silverstream's corpse. He remembered her in vivid detail. Her greys and whites, the soft beauty she possessed, her small body, her blue eyes and the tattoos she had. His heart died that day and he never realized it until now. Seeing her cold body had been a terrible blow.

Doubt started building in his mind. What if Silverstream hadn't loved him the way he loved her? Their time was short but had it been enough for her to fall in love? Byakko's bloodline was known in his homeland as a family of wolves who tended fall fast and love hard those they wished to pair-bond with, to the point of single targeted obsession. That was true of him. He had fallen fast for Silverstream and loved her just as hard. With Raka, it had been a more natural progression since he had been a widower when they met. Why was it so hard to forgive himself?

His mind drifted to Starfire then. "My little sister...I couldn't save her. Not when our homeland fell. Not when we lost this forest. Not when Aylie started acting out. I failed her. I wasn't the elder brother I should've been. I thought we'd have years together to make up for the years we were apart. But she was taken away from me again. Father, too. Dying in such despair was not how a former alpha should've ended his days. They should've died in this forest, not out there in the Wilds. So much loss. So much heartbreak..." Byakko rasped. He pushed his forehead to Raka's chest, biting his lower lip and his eyes shut tight.

The Black Wolf stood like a sentinel. Byakko was just another in a line of wolves stretching back to time immemorial to air these kinds of regrets. He managed to do what few before him had done. His regrets moved the Reaper. He was a neutral force in the grand scheme of things but bits and pieces from his own time as a mortal had remained with him. He had served as judge, jury, and metaphorical executioner (in the case of some souls) for eons but never forgot his mortal roots. Neutral didn't mean heartless. The Father of Wolves had made sure his mortal compassion tempered him in his role as the Reaper of souls. Byakko just needed to be reminded that he did the best he could with what he had and the time he had been given. The Black Wolf knew that Raka had her own skeletons to deal with since her time was also fast approaching. Byakko was farther along but it was likely they would die at roughly the same time. They would both do well in the Deadlands facing his judgment and both would have success in the Endless Hunt, reunited with those who went before.

If Roman Reigns has millions of fans, I am one of them. If Roman Reigns has only one fan, that is me. If Roman Reigns has no fans, I'm no longer in the world.

Kimster Eh
Sparkles a Little
Packmate

"So you've come back to me. I'm glad." he said. He licked his lips before shifting his head upwards to lick her face. His head hit the ground with a thud. She nipped his ear and answered: "Of course I have. I told you that we would go together. I've felt this knowledge in my bones for quite a while now. I was told to come to you today, and I remember. I remember everything."

"Amazing what being at the end of all things brings to mind. I have...so many regrets. My greatest regret is that I didn't love you as much as I should have. She always...always came first. I thought I had accepted her death but here at the end, I see I was just fooling myself. I did you wrong, Raka, and I'm sorry. You deserved better." The black wolfess watched as tears leaked from his eyes. "Oh Byakko - you're too hard on yourself. I loved Sakima with all my heart, and I'd never thought I'd ever be in a relationship with another wolf after him. He was my King and I was his Queen. When we met, and when we fell in love, why, it was meant to be. We both had first loves that took priority over our lives. You were the only wolf who was able to understand this, since you felt the exact same way. I've never begrudged you for still loving Silverstream, as a matter of fact I can't wait to meet her. And I can't wait for you to meet Sakima. I have never felt unloved, have never felt you didn't give me the attention you should. Let's rather say, that two broken hearted wolves have healed each other, and loved with the little bit of their hearts not reserved for their first loves."

It seemed that the regrets were still spilling out - her poor Byakko, bottling all this things up! And she not here to temper it. How she hated her amnesiatic self! Her memory had cost her so much more.

"My little sister...I couldn't save her. Not when our homeland fell. Not when we lost this forest. Not when Aylie started acting out. I failed her. I wasn't the elder brother I should've been. I thought we'd have years together to make up for the years we were apart. But she was taken away from me again. Father, too. Dying in such despair was not how a former alpha should've ended his days. They should've died in this forest, not out there in the Wilds. So much loss. So much heartbreak..."

"Yes, X should have been buried here, in peace. There is nothing you or anyone could do about that. At least he saw our little Sara." she started, her voice soft as she remembered: "Starfire was too sensitive for this world, her heart broken too much. Do you remember how lost Storm was when she left? And poor Akutan... But no - you did everything you could. You couldn't protect her from everything, and you shouldn't. We each have to live the life given to us, and deal with whatever circumstances arise. The time the two of you had together was just enough, you helped her like the big brother you are. Ever thought that the fates have put you here for a reason? And that, that reason included you being able to save Storm and Akutan from the river? If you hadn't been there, and starfire died, there would have been two deaths that day, not just one."

Pausing a moment she shifted so that she still lay next to him, but able to gaze into his golden eyes:

"As for Aylie and Akutan - they both chose the paths they're walking on. Good, or bad. They chose it. They're not pups anymore, and you can't force them to walk the right path. You can give advice until you're blue in the face, but ultimately they choose whether to listen to you or not. Akutan, with Sara's help, chose to listen to you and tries his best to walk a better path. Aylie refused and the path she treads is of her own making, bringing with it, it's own consequences. You can no more take responsibility for that than you can decide where a river flows."

A flash of silver made her glance towards the left, but she saw nothing. Then she felt a presence nearby, and she could swear if felt like Sakima. Her mind ticked over her own life and the regrets she had:

"If you want to blame someone: blame me. When I lost my memory, I was a different wolfess. The old Raka lost in a mist, replaced by an aggressive, suspicious, monster of a wolf that couldn't be trusted. the headaches alone were driving me insane. I know I had valid reasons to leave, but my heart still blames me for going. We could have had so many more seasons together..." she stopped, and grimaced. She wasn't used to opening up like this. Is this what happened on your deathbed? Words and feelings just come pouring through you? "I am sorry I left, my love. At least there was one light point in my leaving - to find Schimmah."
Sekirei She/Her
Resident Changling
Nardir

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPkDELBZJTU

Raka soothed Byakko's devastated soul to an extent. He knew she was right on all counts. She even repeated what the Gatekeeper had said concerning Aylie. "If you want to blame someone: blame me. When I lost my memory, I was a different wolfess. The old Raka lost in a mist, replaced by an aggressive, suspicious, monster of a wolf that couldn't be trusted. the headaches alone were driving me insane. I know I had valid reasons to leave, but my heart still blames me for going. We could have had so many more seasons together..." Raka said, pausing for a bit. Byakko had shifted his head back so she could look him in the eye. His eyes shifted momentarily to the Black Wolf who just stood there, wordlessly biding his time. The dark tendrils were the only things that moved in a nonexistent wind. The lack of a breeze and a faint presence, that almost went unnoticed because of the Black Wolf, distracted Byakko for a second before Raka spoke again.

"I am sorry I left, my love. At least there was one light point in my leaving - to find Schimmah." the black she-wolf said. Byakko slowly brought his wrists up to clear his eyes, bringing himself under control now that he had everything off his chest. "Her blue fur, I associate with just one bloodline. Who is she, really?" he asked. Ever since the girl showed up, her overall coloring bothered the hell out of him. The only wolves he knew with fur like that were Storm and Jase. His brother, Seiryu, had blue fur but not that dark. No, his was blue like the sky. It was far more likely for her to be related to Storm and Jase. Something he'd take to his grave was the fact that a part of him absolutely resented Storm for having pups with Silverstream, especially in light of what happened to her not long after. He felt a little robbed, even though nothing that happened could've been foreseen. He wondered if Starfire had felt the same but then again, why would she? She and Storm were surprised by a litter of their own. Sure, three of them died before birth but the survivor was the son they raised. 

Schimmah was the last mystery he'd get to the bottom off before the end, if only to satisfy his own curiosity. He wondered if she was Jase's and if so, where did that leave her within the family dynamics? Akutan and Jase were half-brothers through Storm and if Schimmah was related to Jase in some way, did that make her "Clan"? His own definition of what made someone Clan was their relation to his own mother. Akutan was the grandson of Firewing via Starfire. Storm merely married into the Clan but the pups he had with Silverstream were technically outsiders and so where any progeny Jase, Lana, and Brooke had. Not that it really mattered. It was just the perception he had. He wasn't about to hung up on semantics. Several Clan members had been adopted into the family in some capacity. Ticon was the prime example.

Kimster Eh
Sparkles a Little
Packmate

(This post was last modified: September 21, 2018, 01:05:42 AM by Kimster.)

Byakko became a little calmer, but he probably still would want to talk with Akutan and Sara face to face. She wondered if Aylie would show up? She watched him wipe away the tears, but kept gazing into his eyes. She wasn't frightened of the spectre watching and waiting, she wasn't even concerned with all the presences she was starting to be aware of. She was at peace, and yet impatient. She wanted to go. It was time.

"Her blue fur, I associate with just one bloodline. Who is she, really?"

Raka paused her mental impatience and frowned. Thinking back on how she met the timid girl - it was a violent meeting. A pack of males had surrounded the small girl and recently killed the male that had tried to protect her. Raka came in and slaughtered them eventually, and just took in the girl. To this day, even with her new found clarity, she wasn't sure what had prompted her to do so. Perhaps it was something about the colour of her coat. She knew it reminded her of Storm, but there was no evidence to support this. And Schimmah had told her the dead, maroon coloured male was her father.

"I honestly don't know." she shook her head, regret colouring her tone: "She reminds me of Storm's colourings, but I think that's as far as it goes: just the colour. We know Storm never had any pups after Akutan. Schimmah told me that the maroon coloured male was her father, and he was already dead by the time I came to help. Certainly her personality isn't close to Storm's bloodline. You know: stubborn, opinionated, dramatic so unlike the X Clan..." she teased.

"What matters, though, is that she settles in this pack. I don't care with which family unit - as long as she's happy and taken care of. She'll grow into a confident-ish wolfess, eventually, and I really hope it will be in New Nardir. At least with Vienne and Sara around, I know she'll be made to feel welcome." She paused, and went on softly: "do you think we'll ever see our other girls?"
Sekirei She/Her
Resident Changling
Nardir

(This post was last modified: September 26, 2018, 09:28:22 PM by Sekirei.)

*Anything italicised is a mental convo*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgltjYaV9tE

Byakko listened as Raka admitted she wasn't entirely sure who Schimmah was. All Raka really knew was that the dead male she had found her with was the girl's father. "What matters, though, is that she settles in this pack. I don't care with which family unit - as long as she's happy and taken care of. She'll grow into a confident-ish wolfess, eventually, and I really hope it will be in New Nardir. At least with Vienne and Sara around, I know she'll be made to feel welcome. Do you think we'll ever see our other girls?" Raka asked. Byakko sighed. "I...don't know. Over the years, they've drifted in and out of the pack. Sara was the only constant. Vie, I barely see. Still...I'm so very proud of them all. The girls....and Akutan. He's still lost but I think he's slowly finding his way back again. We were...we were good parents, weren't we?" he mused. His words carried a hint of pride in his girls and in his sister's son. He often wondered what having a son was like and in the end, he got that son in his nephew.

His eyes closed and he took a deep breath. He still couldn't feel any wind at all. His eyes opened again and found their way to the specter still standing guard five feet away. "Are you doing this? Are you keeping the wind from moving?" he asked. The Black Wolf didn't reply at first. "Yes. Do not fear. Soon, the breeze you cherish so much will be felt." he replied. Byakko breathed again. He licked his chops and rested.

Akutan and Sara came out of their dens at the same time and paused when they saw Rapture standing near the boulder, looking down the path that led to the burial mounds. Sara wondered when she had woken up and left because she hadn't noticed. The cousins looked at each other. "Rapture? What is it?" Sara asked her eldest. The pup's bi-colored eyes of blue and gold met her blues and Akutan's pale greens as she looked over her shoulder. "Grandpa..." was all she said. A chill went down their spines. Akutan was the first to move. Rapture watched him run past and started after him. Sara didn't try to stop her because she was also on autopilot."Daddy..." she thought.

Byakko could hear running pawsteps and he smiled in spite of himself. He couldn't move his head very well but he shifted it down to see Akutan coming into view and stopping dead in his tracks. Rapture and Sara pulled up beside him. "Daddy...Momma?" Sara said, barely able to get the words out. Byakko forced himself into an upright position on his chest, taking note that Sara's presence had finally made the Reaper move. He was no longer watching him and Raka. His bi-colored eyes were on their daughter. Ignoring him for the moment, Byakko smiled at his two kids and granddaughter. "I knew you'd come." he said, softly. That was all it took for Sara to burst into tears, her white fur fluffing out as she tried to keep the sobs in. "It can't be time yet." she heaved. Byakko's ruined left face crinkled as he smiled. "I'm afraid so, little one. It is time." he said.

Sara's head bowed as she dug her claws into the dirt. Rapture was looking at her mom with a mix of fear and confusion. She was unsure what was happening. All she knew was that her grandpa's hips looked like they stopped working. Grandma was there as well but while she didn't look like she was in rough shape as Grandpa, something seemed off about her as well. What did Mom mean by it couldn't be time yet? She looked up at Akutan, noticing he was also cracking, albeit at a slower pace. Byakko motioned for Sara to come closer. She went without hesitation, leaving her daughter standing with Akutan. 

Sara collapsed against her father, curling up and pushing her face to his chest. Akutan looked at Rapture who then met his eyes. He could see her confusion. "I'm sorry..." he said. "What's happening, Aku?" Rapture asked, feeling need to cry as well even though she didn't know why. Akutan felt his rump fall where he had stopped and looked at his cousin. "Grandpa and Grandma...are about to go away." he said. Rapture looked over at Raka and Byakko. She didn't fully understand but some part of her did. She remembered her mom and Akutan talking about Great Aunt Starfire and Great Uncle Storm. How they both went away and left Aku-Aku alone. Her eyes dulled and her paws carried her over to Byakko. She clambered up onto his back and curled up in his black ruff.

The Black Wolf looked over when he heard pawsteps approach. Right on time, the boy appeared, followed by Byakko's eldest granddaughter. Then she came. The Reaper never forgot Sarajevo. Not only had he been present at her birth, guiding her soul to the mortal coil, but he had been there when she herself gave birth. Her birthing had been rather rough and she ended up passing out. He remembered how she begged him to spare her son, to spare all her pups. He remembered her begging for him to take her instead, in every implication of the word, if he would just spare her pups. She never realized that he was the reason her pups were born living at all. The son had gotten lost momentarily when trying to find his mortal shell. All it took was a breath from the Reaper and a command to live that saved the boy's life.

No, he never forgot her. This unnatural she-wolf who refused to bring harm to any living creature including prey. This beautiful mortal who had no real idea what it meant to be a wolf. A wolf hunted for themselves and the pack. This one did neither, relying on others to do the job. Most would call it coddling. Others would call her weak, selfish, and an insult to her kind. The Reaper didn't think so. She had a rare strength in how she lived her life and her family had absolutely no problem doing what she couldn't bring herself to do. The fact she offered herself to him was the clearest sign her strength was hard to rival. Wolves like her were always the most interesting. The Reaper had no intention to do anything to her that ran counter to his purpose. It was a foolish plea made in a dream brought on by a hard birthing. But she managed to make that much of impression on him that he was compelled to pay close attention to the events unfolding before him.

Kimster Eh
Sparkles a Little
Packmate

"I...don't know. Over the years, they've drifted in and out of the pack. Sara was the only constant. Vie, I barely see. Still...I'm so very proud of them all. The girls....and Akutan. He's still lost but I think he's slowly finding his way back again. We were...we were good parents, weren't we?"

She nuzzled him and murmered; "I think so, yes."

It was then she heard the thud of pawsteps. She looked up and saw Sara, Akutan and little Rapture. Raka smiled tenderly at the three, her eyes showing recognisition and shining with love. A few words was all it took for the young adults to understand. Sara came over and curled up against Byakko's chest, and Rapture curled up in the thick ruff on his back. Raka nuzzled the grandpup, then looked over at Akutan. He'd grown into such a handsome wolf. She gestured with one paw for him to come over - a motherly gesture. Then she would gently groom Sara and say:

"Oh my sweet little Sara."

That was all that really needed to be said. If Akutan did decide to come over she would bestow affection on him as well, whether he wanted to or not. She was getting tired - that high was ebbing and she could feel her spirit yearning to leave this husk. She looked past at the spectre and saw the ghostly shape of Sakima, grinning at her. Just behind him a blue tinted tendril wafted back and forth.
Sekirei She/Her
Resident Changling
Nardir

*Anyone wishing to jump in, may*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugiw9-t70TM

Akutan saw Raka motion for him and he went over. She gave him the affection he needed, something that kind of surprised him since he had been a source of contention between her and Starfire. But that was years ago and in this moment, it didn't matter. He lay down, leaning against her and facing Sara's back. "Sorry I'm such a screw-up, Aunt Raka. I wasn't a good kid, all things considered. I'm still not. Just a ball of fur with anger issues." he said, bringing his head down to his paws. Byakko chuckled, reaching over Sara to nudge him. "You did the best you could with the lot in life you had. We all screw up at some point. What matters is you're finding your way now. You just have to keep pressing onward." he said, shifting so he was on his side again. Akutan met his gold eyes with his pale greens. "I don't know if I can." he said. The Fringe smiled. "You said something similar when your mother was dying. But you persevered anyway. You stumbled, you fell, you made mistakes. But you still made it. I've prepared you the best I could in Storm's place and I'm proud to call you my own son. You are ready, even if you don't feel like you are. You're going to be a father someday, Akutan, and the day will come where you're in my place. I hope you'll be able to forgive yourself in time. I've made peace with my own regrets and I'm prepared to face him." he said, alluding to the Reaper.

Sara was still crying but she was quiet as she listened. She also had the nagging feeling they weren't alone there. She also felt a slight chill, though the morning was warm. "Is he...here?" she asked, quietly. Byakko met her eyes, appreciating now more than ever that she had his mother's eyes. He licked her forehead. There was no need for her to know the Black Wolf was standing nearby, his gaze curiously still on her. "Maybe he is. Maybe he isn't. The stories say the Black Wolf isn't always present for every death. It depends on the perception of the dying." he said. His eyes shot up to the Reaper with a slight scowl in them. 

"Will you stop staring at my daughter as if you were plotting something?" he mentally snapped at the specter. His words were met with a short chuckle. "Forgive me, Son of Firewing. I'm so far above you mortals that few things impress me about you. She managed to do just that. I'm not staring because I have some nefarious scheme in mind for her. No, such things are beneath me and don't forget I punish wolves if they committed such things against another. I was mortal once. I remember and appreciate what beauty is. I'm only surprised she hasn't turned more heads. I'm merely making observations about her, hence my...staring." the Gatekeeper said, not at all ruffled or ashamed of riling a wolf on his deathbed.

"What are you staring at, Daddy?" Sara asked, noticing her father scowling at some point behind her. "Nothing. Just thinking about something that happened long ago. It doesn't matter now." he deflected. Sara let it drop. Her mind, for whatever reason, kept going back to the day she gave birth to Bucky's pups. She still had no clue if what she had dreamed was just a dream or if she had legitimately seen something.

The Black Wolf was joined by Sakima. He nodded in greeting. Like all wolves, Sakima had come before him in the Deadlands and passed his judgment. Rather well, really. It wasn't long before they were joined by another. "My son's time...has come...hasn't it?" came a feminine voice. The Black Wolf looked to his right to see a white and silver she-wolf with those same, stunning blue eyes as the lovely Sarajevo, looking up at him. Firewing had a tragic death, killed by humans who nearly took X's life. Her body was desecrated by those same humans, skinning her fur. Such a grisly end to an alpha was an insult to the Reaper, whose ties with Lindras were older than the pack itself. Looking at her now, one never would've guessed Firewing had met such an end. "It is. He's still not to the point where he can see you but he's close. The tethers on his soul have been weakening for some time now. He's been able to see me since he arrived here earlier. The black one, Raka, she can see me and I wager she can see Sakima as well." the Gatekeeper replied.

Firewing looked back towards her son. "I'm so...proud of him. Byakko had a rough life after I died. But seeing him there with his love and two of my grandpups brings me joy. Sarajevo is so beautiful and Akutan, so handsome. Mixed blood, they may be, they are truly the heirs to my house." Firewing said, smiling. The Black Wolf just exhaled loudly. "I already got in trouble for 'staring' too much at your granddaughter. Not that it matters. I have seen few she-wolves that rival her in beauty and even fewer have held my attention to this extent. In fact...she reminds me of the mate I left behind when I mantled the role of Gatekeeper. I'll be watching her life with great interest. Byakko should consider it an honor." he said. Firewing laughed. "Well, he's a father. It's only natural for him to be protective. In that moment, he didn't see the Reaper. He saw a male apparently making questionable plans for his little girl." she said. The Reaper merely gave her a look but kept his peace. 

Mortals were so...petty. 

Kimster Eh
Sparkles a Little
Packmate

(This post was last modified: September 24, 2018, 10:50:06 PM by Kimster.)

"Sorry I'm such a screw-up, Aunt Raka. I wasn't a good kid, all things considered. I'm still not. Just a ball of fur with anger issues."

Byakko soothed the boys' fears and regrets, and Raka cuddled him closer, enjoying having her kids around her. She wondered if Vienna might turn up? And what about Schimmah?

"Of course you can do it - you can do whatever you set your mind to." she gently rebuked him, but smiled to show she wasn't angry. "Keep family close, and lean on each other, help each other. I especially need the two of you to keep an eye on Schimmah. She's not as settled as I'd thought she'd be, and I'm worried she might leave the pack. She just needs someone with a little patience to help her through her timidness. Will you do this for me?"

Her eyes kept drifting to the spectre and Sakima waiting for them. Not yet. Not yet. Still a few good byes to say. She nuzzled Sara as Byakko deflected her question - no need to worry any of them with the visions they were seeing. She felt it a privelege that she and Byakko were able to share this, together, and she wondered if he saw different apparitions than she did.

---o0o---

"Sheesh, he hasn't gotten any LESS longwinded, has he." a hoarse voice grumped and a blue wisp hovered behind Firewing, not yet fully formed. "And yeah, my son is handsome. He got that from his mother. But he has a temper, he doesn't forgive easily and he's stubborn. He got that from me." the voice stated factually. The blue wisp was silent for a moment, then added with a note of pride: "Look how much he's grown. He's gotten much better, and found someone to love. I think he's going to be just fine."

(OOC: I couldn't resist playing him one last time.)
Charley She/Her
Nardir
Nardir

All Accounts Posts: 409
(This post was last modified: September 25, 2018, 01:35:00 AM by Charley.)

Was sorta hoping that you'd stay...

Kyra :: Hakan

My music if your interested Wink : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2qOllkxwiw

Hakan stretched his weary aching joints. He was used to getting up earlier in the day and it was odd that he had woken so late. He looked up at the sky and it seemed like it was just about time to collect new herbs, the dew had dried. He looked around and noticed a distinct absence from the Castle. His heart dropped to his knees as he saw the retreating forms of the black and silver shadows of Akutan and Sarajevo heading to... the mounds. Forget the herbs for one day... Was Kyra already there? He quickly looked around to access who else had gone and saw her bright red furry leg sticking out of her den. Interesting Akutan didn't wake her to go with him. Maybe he tried and she grunted at him.

Hakan pawed at her foot and she tucked it back into her den. "Kyra... Kyra c'mon honey. It's important." He saw in the gloom a bright gleam of a cyan eye. The bright color from her mother. She grunted and rolled over.  "Kiddo, now's not the time. If you want to see Byakko again you better get up and we should head over there." That brought her head up to look at him squarely with a confused look. She gave her head a shake, making her ears flop from side to side and with no hurry at all she smacked her lips from waking up.

"Figures he'd pick the one morning I could actually get some sleep." with a grunt and a sigh she got on her legs and pulled herself out of the den. She was hungry and if she didn't eat soon she'd start yarking on Akutan. Her father would do though.

Hakan took a step back with a raised eyebrow at how green she looked around her eyes and nose. He didn't mention anything though, he didn't remember Firebright having this awful of a time so early on, but maybe she hid it from him just as much as his daughter tried. He nodded his head in the direction of the mounds and started to lead the way. He looked up and shouted to those listening. "We're heading to the Mounds! For those who know, I'm sure he'd appreciate you stopping by." Hoping that was enough to share the news and not be disrespectfully blunt about it.

Kyra took another look around and noticed Akutan had gone without her. Hmm... She didn't know how she felt about that. Would it have killed him to have at least tried to wake her? She followed her father onward, still sleepy and groggy, dead tired. It wasn't quite computing exactly what was going on.

Grassy green eyes shot open at the shout. Arik really didn't like sleeping so close to everyone, and he had already picked the one den that was practically out of range of everyone and nearly impossible to get at even. He took a moment to steady his breathing and lifted his head to ease his racing heart. He wished these dreams weren't so painful. With one deep steadying breath he stretched his legs out and poked his head out of the den. He watched Hakan and Kyra disappear into the brush as if he was watching a re-run. He looked up at the clear sky and narrowed his eyes at the half moon hanging in the daylight as if it was reminding him of something. Cheeky... he thought. Oh no, was this the one She wanted him to say something at? Was this going to be something he would have to preside over? They had their own rituals, they might not want his involvement as they had always said they felt very separate from Lunarianism. Why oh why did She give him words of all things to say at moments like this? He flicked his tail. He felt that need to Go again, the Pull. Why? He hadn't been involved in the family, his presence might even be frowned upon. Go it pulled. So he made his way carefully down from the castle. He'll be a little late to the party, trailing behind and taking it slowly.

Hakan slowed as they got nearer, he didn't want to disturb any private moments.
"I don't mean to interrupt..." Hakan said brushing some foliage aside and coming forward. The family had gathered quite closely. To see his friend collapsed and looking so close to deaths door, and Raka next to him... ready to follow him across the threshold was almost too much to bear. Weakly he tried to smile but he couldn't hold it, his bi-colored eyes welling over from the abundance of love and loss. He had never been very good at standing with those so close to the veil. He choked and sniffed bowing his head. He slowly came forward and pressed his forehead into his dear friends cheek. Hakan had always been easily emotional. After steadying his breath, so much for holding it together, he pulled away and asked, "Do you need anything? Are you in pain? Can I make it easier for you?"

Kyra came up behind him and when she pushed through the foliage her father had swept aside she caught with her half asleep gaze a shifting glimpse of a shadow standing off to the side. A chill ran through her body and brought her fully to wakefulness. As soon as she had her head fully up and her eyes wide open the figure was gone and nothing was there. She furrowed her brow for a moment and narrowed her eyes glancing about the gathering looking for strangers. It was then the gathering came to the forefront of her mind and the purpose became apparent. She balked for a moment shifting her gaze between the gathered individuals. Oh hell no, she was not prepared for this. Mushy stuff wasn't her forté, she didn't really know how to comfort Akutan for this. And she just stared wide eyed at her fathers back, her mind numb and escaping from the moment. She was too hungry and soon she was going to be queesy and she wasn't ready to tell everyone why she was more of a crab than usual and she wasn't all ready to... She glanced at the man dying. General Scaryface. Her uncle now in every sense of the word. She pinned her ears back in shame, cast her gaze away and without another word she turned tail and ran. She'll beg Akutans forgiveness later. Byakko could haunt her later if he really wanted to see her. Maybe it'll cause him to stick around longer. She couldn't do it. It was too much change. Too much was going on. What the hell was that anyway. She went to go hunting. Though rabbit was the last thing she wanted, fish would be better. Maybe she could catch a rabbit for the family for condolences. She needed condolences though, not that she'd ever admit it.  

ooc Arik will probably let a few people pass him before he finally makes his appearance.

Photo © Wes Hicks / modified coding © vixxie's codes

Sekirei She/Her
Resident Changling
Nardir

(This post was last modified: September 25, 2018, 12:51:38 AM by Sekirei.)

*OOC: By all means, keep Storm coming. I'mma about to bring in another blast from the past.*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa25ZdYCNLA

"Of course you can do it - you can do whatever you set your mind to. Keep family close, and lean on each other, help each other. I especially need the two of you to keep an eye on Schimmah. She's not as settled as I'd thought she'd be, and I'm worried she might leave the pack. She just needs someone with a little patience to help her through her timidness. Will you do this for me?" Raka asked, directing the question at them both. "Yes, Momma." Sara said, keeping her head against Byakko's ruff. "I'll do my best." Akutan promised. "That's all we can ask for." Byakko said. He felt Rapture's shuddering breath as she cried. He shifted a little to look at her out of the corner of his eye. "Grampa...tell me again about the Afterworld." she said, quietly. The monochrome wolf chuckled before coming back to rest on his side. He could feel his strength waning bit by bit. He started speaking about how the Afterworld was a beautiful hunting ground with forests, plains, lakes, and rivers where the souls of all wolves resided after their time was over. He spoke of how the Black Wolf, while the personification of death and karma, was the ally to all wolves who kept to the path of right action and thus wasn't one to fear.

"Listen to me, Rapture. I want you to do me a favor." Byakko said after he was done with his story. He noticed that Akutan, while wide awake, had his eyes closed. "Yeah?" Rapture asked. "I want you to keep an eye on Akutan for me. He's going to need you more than you know. Learn from him, support him, be a pillar for him. Can you do that?" her elderly grandfather asked. Unseen to him, Rapture looked at her older cousin and blushed a little. "I will." she promised. Akutan felt a smile tug on the corners of his lips but kept his peace. He shifted positions so he was no longer between Raka and Sara and instead moved to lie by Byakko's head so he was looking at her. Sara's blue eyes met his pale greens, her heartbreak shining like a beacon. "You were always strong for me, Sara. Let me be strong for you. Me...and Buckshot." he said. She moved her nose to meet his, biting her lower lip. Byakko sighed and brought his head under her chin. He thought back to when Sara announced she was pregnant. He obviously hadn't meant anything by it but Akutan's words about wishing he and Sara weren't related stuck with him. Byakko finally understood at the end just how much the two cousins' symbiosis had permeated their current relationship. The bond between them and their respective mates was strong but the bond between Akutan and Sarajevo was just as strong, if not stronger. Though their symbiosis was long laid to rest, it was apparent now the two of them could never live without the other.

"Sheesh, he hasn't gotten any LESS longwinded, has he. And yeah, my son is handsome. He got that from his mother. But he has a temper, he doesn't forgive easily and he's stubborn. He got that from me." came a voice. Firewing and the Black Wolf looked to see a blue wisp. Storm wasn't wrong about Akutan. Firewing had watched him grow up and knew his struggles as if they were her own. She just smiled and closed her eyes. "Longwindedness is definitely a trait of my pack. I know it bothers a lot of wolves but the underlying reason is that Lindarian wolves rarely say things short and sweet. To do so is to say things halfway. I'm proving my point right now." she said. She then leveled a rather cheeky grin at the wisp. "Don't kid yourself thinking Akutan only got his stubbornness from you. On that account, he's also the spitting image of me when I was young. It's what made me the alpha I was born to be." she said.

She looked at her great-granddaughter, noting the white hair against her otherwise brown fur with black accents and her unusual eyes. She looked up at the giant spirit beside her. "What sort of future does Rapture hold? Or is that beyond your power?" she asked, with a knowing smile. The Reaper gave her a dry look. "The girl is strong, a credit to your family. If she's truly the chosen one to follow in your pawsteps as a Clan leader, she has a good teacher in your grandson. The boy is lost. A part of him will always remain lost but I foresee their bond progressing well enough that Rapture will be ready to take over when the time comes. The future is always in flux so it remains to be seen if I'm right. The future is for the Father of Wolves to know." he replied before going back to pin his eyes on Sara, as if she were the only one who mattered to him.

"What is it about my niece that draws your gaze, Gatekeeper?" came a new voice. A white wolf with silver patches appeared, leveling her gold gaze on the black one. The Reaper gave a rough sigh. "You and your brother have a terrible habit of getting hung up on things once they ensnare your minds. Can't I simply observe a mere mortal in peace without my motives being in question? Don't forget, Starfire, that habit is why you met me when you did." he said. Starfire just shrugged, not bothered by the truth. She then smiled at her son and niece. "This is true. I guess I'm just curious about why Sara has your undivided attention. It's unlike you to give mortals more than a passing glance if they're not dead or dying. It's a strange curiosity." she said. "She's hardly the first and won't be the last." the Reaper said shortly.

Starfire stood with her mother and the blue wisp. She noticed her brother's eyes were staring at where they were standing. "I think he's started to perceive us, Mother." she observed. "Indeed. It's not his time just yet, however. I sense there are others will want to see him off. Let us be patient...and not test the Black Wolf's patience regarding Sara any further. Whatever his reasons are for his interest are his alone. We're not meant to understand." Firewing said, sagely. 

Byakko was starting to see faint apparitions standing with the crystal clear Black Wolf. He couldn't make who any of them were yet but he had a feeling deep down that he knew exactly they were. His attention was nabbed by the arrival of Hakan and Kyra. Akutan raised his head to look at his mate, his expression unreadable but soft, showing he was happy to see her if only for a moment. His hunch was correct when she looked at Byakko and ran off without a word. It did't matter that she didn't stay. What did matter was that she made an appearance at all. "Do you need anything? Are you in pain? Can I make it easier for you?" Hakan asked, after pressing his forehead to Byakko's face. "No. I feel fine. Just...tired. I have a feeling this will be as easy as falling asleep." the large Fringe said with a raspy chuckle.

"Though I would be a liar if I said I wasn't afraid." he sighed. His words were met by Sara curling even tighter against his chest, her scruff being held lightly by Akutan who was trying (and failing) to keep his own sorrow from making a sound. The Fringe looked up at Hakan, no longer able to lift his head. "This has been a long time coming, my old friend. What's countering my fear right now is knowing she is waiting for me. So is my mother, father, and sister. I'm ready to greet Death as a friend." he said, his eyes moving over to meet the spectral bi-colored gaze of the giant standing nearby. To his credit, the Black Wolf gave him a respectful nod of the head.

Mercury She
From Queen to Dog and Back Again
Nardir
Pronouns: She

All Accounts Posts: 617

The Dark Moon Queen of Nardir                 ☿
[Image: divider_by_polarshockka-d8ceg2q.png]

"Being brave means to know something is scary, difficult, and dangerous, and doing it anyway, because the possibility of winning the fight is worth the chance of losing it.
- Emilie Autumn

"We're heading to the Mounds! For those who know, I'm sure he'd appreciate you stopping by."

Should she have realized that he had left?  But no, his immediate family should have noticed first.  Mercury wrongly assumed Kyra had come to fetch Hakan. Akutan would have told her... or, at least, he should have.  She watched the red Guard and her father take post in the procession, then turned and headed along one of the Castle's balcony walkways. It was early enough that the pack was still in residence, and she suspected that her nephew would still be abed.  If it was truly the time of Byakko's passing, the Royale Family of Nardir would be in attendance.

"Kastra." she called softly, "Wake. We must go."

Once she had gotten the prince's assurance that he would be along, she moved down the walkway.  Hakan's announcement would go through the hassle of notifying the pack, so she could skip that.  But there was one who probably wouldn't know, and she did want him there.  Mercury would need all her strength to get through this, and that meant she needed Kodiak.  Since she had come back he had been her confidant.  She had expressed the worries and fears of Mercury, Daughter of Nardir, instead of the troubles of the Dark Moon Queen.  He let her be her, and when she would not be able to show the depth of her own loss, she would have his silent comfort.  Why did she feel the need to hide it? Was it to maintain the calm of the pack? Or to deny the storm in herself? She stopped outside his "door" and hoped Kodi would be home.

"Kodi." She said, her voice without it's usual steel. "Please..."

I need your strength.

[Image: divider_by_polarshockka-d8ceg2q.png]

Profile ☿ played by EhwazAzi

I found solace in the strangest place
Way in the back of my mind
I saw my life in a stranger's face
And it was mine

vixxie's codes

[Image: ruvbfa_by_ehwazazi-dcfe5qt.png]

Kastra he/him
Nardir
Nardir
Pronouns: he/him

All Accounts Posts: 446

[Image: nRus6E7.png]

He had been sleeping, taking the moment to get some shut eye. With the reclaiming of Nardir, and him trying to be as active within the pack as he could be, he needed to take any chance he could get to sleep. But when Mercury roused him from his sleep, there should have been some kind of anger for being awoken, but instead some sort of dread over took him, and it felt like some kind of hole was forming in his stomach. ”Kastra.” His aunt called, as he had lifted his head. ”Wake. We must go." Somehow just those words had given him the tension, even if the reason wasn’t said aloud. The prince hoped he was overreacting, but his mind knew something was wrong, and that some members of Nardir weren’t going to last much longer.

Kastra got to his paws, dipping his head for her to lead the way. He would silently follow Mercury, waiting patiently with a lump in his throat for Kodiak. He took a guess that Kodi wouldn’t really being going for the others, but to support Mercury. When they would leave to wherever they were heading (he wasn’t actually sure), he would try to keep himself together. The tension was eating him, and he couldn’t find the words to say aloud. Who is it? Who is dying? He didn’t know, but many faces flashed in his mind. He expected an elder, some sort of peaceful yet sad passing, but there was also the fear that someone was hurt, not going to make it. When they would arrive, Kastra wouldn’t push to get close. Byakko wasn’t close, but he still felt like some sort of family. He was a constant that had always been around. It felt taboo that something should happen to him. He would sit down, a tiny whine breaking through his throat, as he tried to hold himself together.

[Image: CBHlfyW.png]
#CC3333
Kodiak He
Drowning in the Sea of Stars
Nardir
Pronouns: He

All Accounts Posts: 843

[Image: ePgW4lb.png]

[Image: lds_05_by_akumiirako-dbfgoev.png]
#ee7f2d

Shadows distorted as the light that entered his den was cut off by a dark figure calling out to him. He turned slightly, pupils adjusting, but still he could only see her eyes, but the urgency in her voice was what pulled him up from the lull of sleep.

Blue and ambery-gold would meet bright teal, though he was soundless, he'd be there to reassure her. He'd spy Kastra behind her, waiting for the pair, and just like him he was clueless to what was happening. Though Kodi more so than the golden prince. It wasn't the wolfdog's place to ask, however, being new to this kingdom and life style. It meant that he had to kind of roll with everything and let Merc take the lead.

He dipped his head in acknowledgement to the boy and then glanced back to the dark moon, craning his neck slightly and motioning for her to lead the way, though he'd stand firmly by her side, shoulder rubbing shoulder. To be her rock, her sword, her shield. Whatever she needed.

I stand with you, my Queen. A thought that resonated within his mind and thrummed in his chest. "I'm here."

I go wander through the pines
and make my way to nature's shrines
« aesthetic profile played by: waka »
Kimster Eh
Sparkles a Little
Packmate

(This post was last modified: September 28, 2018, 02:48:28 AM by Kimster.)

She heard Hakan's announcement, she saw the pack walking slowly by her den on their way to the mounds. She stared at the moonstones piled neatly in a corner on top of a fur skin that Mercury had given her, and she replayed the conversation they'd had upon her finding these stones. It was an important find, she'd made a big contribution, and Raka was so proud of her to have done that...

And now she's leaving. Just like Daddums. Well no, ok, maybe not exactly just like him, but still. Leaving. Dying.

Deciding to join the procession was the hardest decision she'd ever had to make. But she had to go.

She gathered up the corners of the skin, so that it made a small carry sack and picked it up in her jaws, scowling a little at the heavy weight. She hoped it would be enough stones for everyone. Her pawsteps heavy, she followed the slow procession behind the big forms of Mercury and the tough looking dude. She kept her eyes on the ground, and only lifted them when she sensed that they'd arrived. She saw Byakko and Raka lying side by side, Sara huddled in Byakko's forepaws with Akutan in front ofher, and Sara's baby girl on top of Byakko's ruff. A quick stab of anger went through her - no one cuddling with Raka? So typical of the X Clan, only focussing on each other and no one else. She pushed these thoughts aside for now, concentrating on what she had to do.

Moving in front of the assembled she lowered the little bag to let it splay open, the moonstones glimmering oddly in the daylight. They were all about marble sized. She took a deep breath, and spoke in a quiet voice:

"To guide the Ascending Star Children." her voice broke on the last word, and she couldn't explain any more. Maybe Mercury would? As tears started to roll down her cheeks, she gathered two stones carefully in her mouth and walked towards the two elders, and put them next to Raka's shoulder for now.

Raka and Schimmah looked at each other, when the black female smiled Schimmah gave a strangled sob and clambered into her forepaws, cuddling against the soft, dark chest fur. Raka licked the top of her head, smoothing the spiky hair ruff, and whispered something in her ear.

Then Raka looked up and inspected the gathering pack. She knew most of their names - if they'd been in the pack before the invasion, she remembered them, and she had a small smile for them all. She gave a regal nod to Mercury, silently thanking her for attention. But for Hakan and Adolph she gave the biggest, warmest smile. If she happens to glimpse Aylie, she would lift a paw and gesture her to come cuddle, should she wish.
Away
Ayliyra she, her
Aylie-Gator
Nardir
Pronouns: she, her
Rank [IC]: Astronomer

She heard the call of Hakan and surmised the meaning of it but despite realizing that time was of the essence well..this required some thought. Her relationship with those had taken her in was not what it once had been, there was hurt and anger on both sides, hers and theirs and even after so much time had passed those hurts and not yet healed and honestly likely never would for some pains simply went to deep to ever be mended. It was what made her uncertain as to whether she should go, she might not be welcomed, might not be wanted there and even her own emotions were somewhat muddled. There was hurt yes but it had not always been so, before fate had forced them all down the path of sorrow they had been close, perhaps not as close as they might have become had things turned out different but still. And even after the drifting had begun there had still been times, which she had been reminded of not too long ago, when it seemed as if things might improve between them but then..she sighed softly to herself. It was a difficult decision but in the end she decided she would go, for the sake of what had been and what might have been, she owed that much to them and she believed in credit where it was due.

So she made her way quickly but quietly towards the location, it was near her former home here,  knowing that there would be yet others there with whom things had not yet been resolved but it was not about them, not in the way it was about..Byakko, and only Byakko as far as she yet knew. Upon her arrival she took in his form in his weakened state even as she took in the presence of the others gathered close to him including Raka. It made sense that Byakko's mate would be here but from what she was seeing it looked as if Raka too might be departing. That was something she had not expected and made things well..her last memories or Raka had been extremely unpleasant and were tainted by death. But then she was here to pay credit where credit was due and in light of things she was no saint herself anymore than Raka was. She did not wish to just barge on to the scene when this was such a somber occasion and so she paused a moment at the outer part of the gathered mourners. It was a sad affair to be sure, even to her, and yet she had seen so much death in her time that there were no tears nor overwhelming sense of loss. Death and the loss of those one cared about was something she had learned to simply accept long ago as a fact of life that could not be avoided.

After her waiting a moment, Raka spotted her and instead of sending her off beckoned her forwards at which point she would carefully approach to where the departing couple lay and as long as she were allowed she would bend down close to their ears, for the words she had to say were for them only. "Thank you, for everything you gave me. I'm..sorry things did not turn out different". She would speak softly and sincerely. She did appreciate what Byakko and Raka had given her, what had been taught to her and she was sorry things had turned out the way they had. She would pause a moment just in case and then well..she did not know how to comfort others in such times as this and she did not want to upset anyone with her stoicism either which meant it would likely be better if she were to depart and to perhaps see if she might get some work done so that those more severely affected would be able to take time to grieve instead of having to jump into work. But then again..she was not the most comfortable with touch under the circumstances though she would make an exception and so she lay against Raka curling her tail so that it would reach around to touch Byakko as well so that she could try and be there for both of them here at the end.

((it's short and not that great but it's here for Goodbyes))

Sekirei She/Her
Resident Changling
Nardir

Byakko was pleasantly surprised when other packmates appeared. Whenever Merc and Kastra appeared, he would feel particularly honored. It went back to his long-defunct role as Crown Prince of Lindras. Once upon a time, he had been their equal. But no more. The Clan's royal lineage lived on but it was destined for eternal dormancy. They would never rise again, content in their new destiny as followers of someone else. Still, in a roundabout way, Mercury and Kastra had come in respect for a fellow royal. He was the first wolf in the family to have the alpha and their family attend such a somber event. X and Starfire had died with only the family around. Schimmah also arrived and was the one to cuddle with Raka. Byakko hoped she wasn't coming down too hard on Akutan and Sara. Because Raka had been out of both their lives for so long, their relationship with her was, put bluntly, was stunted. Rapture was just a pup and, just like her mother before her, didn't know either him or Raka very well at all and never would after the end. She was marginally closer to Byakko but only to the same extent as Sara had been to X, who had also died when Sara had been a pup.

He licked Raka's forehead. He still felt a little guilty that she ultimately had played second fiddle to the long-dead Silverstream but it seemed to go both ways with him playing second fiddle to Sakima. He felt a slight laugh in his chest that went unnoticed as he realized he and Raka were each other's Replacement Goldfish and that it had still worked out all the same. They had a love for each other that was different than the usual and it had suited them just fine. They kept each other company in that love until they could at last be reunited with their true loves.

He heard and scented Ticon appear and seemed to hesitate. "It's okay, Ticon. You stopped being my father's doppelganger a long time ago and you're family." he assured the young wolf. Ticon slowly approached. "Thank you, Byakko, for taking me in. I came here looking for your Clan because of the rumors I heard from birds about X. I may never fully get over the idea that I was somehow detrimental to the Clan because of my resemblance to him but you have my eternal gratitude for seeing...well, me." Ticon said. He sat down at a respectful distance. Though he was good a family to the X Clan, he was still the outsider, the knight, the one who served. "I think we all benefitted from your presence, Ticonderoga. You've been the staunch supporter of my nephew and propped him up during bad spells. As I asked Rapture, I want your word that you will continue to do so." Byakko then said.

Ticon nodded before throwing a glance at Mercury. His role was unofficial and he was unsure if he was allowed to swear any oaths to anyone outside the ruling family. Still, he hadn't been born to a structured pack and Mercury knew that. Ticon's loyalty was split evenly between the pack and the clan. His commitment of service to the clan, in particular, was made independently than his overall service to the pack as a whole. His choice in rank was influenced both by his personality as well as a desire to serve under Akutan if he was able to. Even with that, his loyalty to the pack came first as was expected. His situation was a bit unique because he come to Nardir for the X Clan first and foremost. Feeling confident that no one present would take his words to mean he was planning clan before pack (which he wasn't), Ticon straightened up as a show of respect to his higher-up in the ranks. "You have my word that I will be Akutan's sword, shield, and unswerving companion. This is as the Call of the Wild wills it." he said, solemnly. Much like how the X Clan put their faith in the wind, the Father of the Wolves, and the Black Wolf himself, Ticon's faith was centered on the Call of the Wild. It was why he was there in Nardir to begin with. Sara had once said that perhaps the Call was the voice of the Father guiding his life. The young wolf was inclined to think so now. His words were just a fancy way of saying he was willing to go to bat for Akutan should he need an advocate.

The Black Wolf quietly observed more of the pack arriving to see Byakko's end. It made sense. The Reaper was ever present in the mortal plane and thus knew where Byakko's standing was, even if he thought his family had been brought low in public opinion due to certain events. Akutan was feeling that more acutely than other family members because of those events, the role he had been born into, and his place in the pecking order. He felt a smirk cross his maw when Ticon arrived. He may or may not have suggested to the Father that He mold this particular wolf in X's image, even though Ticon had been born around the time X died. He wasn't that much older than Sara was. The Reaper was feeling inclined on having the Father mold a pup in his own image and have it be born to this pack. It was becoming plain to the entity that his overall interest in Sarajevo was evolving. 

Having a pup born to this pack that bore the appearance the stories had given him would make for some interesting entertainment. It also brought to mind the rather juvenile idea that young wolves would sometimes tease the ones they liked as a sign of affection. And the Reaper admitted to himself that he really liked this runty, snow-white she-wolf. He wanted to mess with her to show his affection, which she would never know until she met him face to face for real. Better yet, he wouldn't be breaking any of the stringent rules the Father had put in place when he mantled the role of Gatekeeper. He couldn't influence the living but he didn't need to. The conclusions they came to on their own always kept his existence from getting monotonous. 

Mantling the role stripped him of his ability to love or be in love but affection was different. It was both within the rules and a core facet of his role as a judge. It didn't interfere with his neutrality as far as his judgments went. Neutral didn't mean stick-in-the-mud and his purpose was to judge based on the life lived. If a wolf did terrible wrongs, his punishments always avenged any victims because he did so in proportion to the wrongdoing in question. It was only natural that many stories cast him as a protector spirit. He was a neutral force but he had freedom of thought and action. Even he had fun at the expense or benefit for mortals from time to time. It was just a rare thing as very few wolves had unknowingly captured his attention so thoroughly. Leading their souls to their bodies before birth was like giving the parents a blank slate to work with. The Reaper knew nothing of how their lives would go and what personalities they would cultivate. Such things were the realm of the Father. So a wolf capturing his attention later on in life was something of intrigue.

So it seemed Byakko was right to suspect the Black Wolf of "plotting" something, making "questionable" plans for the healer who had undoubtedly captured whatever he had in place of a heart. He couldn't wait to watch the object of his affection deal with a pup made in his image.

Charley She/Her
Nardir
Nardir

All Accounts Posts: 409

Was sorta hoping that you'd stay...

Kyra :: Hakan :: Arik

Hakan would nod sagely, sniffing back his tears, and stepped back to join the growing throng. It was then his eyes would rove over the epitome of shadow lounging next to Byakko. Her dark fur did wonders to hide the growing ailments and he was taken aback by how fragile she looked. Her warm smile after Shimmahs appearance made his heart catch in agony. Again he would let her slip from his paws. For years he had thought that her disappearance was due to him not catching her preeclampsia symptoms after giving birth to her daughters, or during her labor. Causing her the memory loss and heartache. And here she was now fading beside her mate, together at last, her memory probably clearer than it had been in years. He could see it in her eyes. The veil was shifting aside for them both. Forgive me... How am I so blind to the lovers and the mothers? I have let my first love slip away, then my second now wanders lost, now my best friend whom I love is taking the final path with his beloved. At least... all will meet again... he thought, closing his eyes and pointing his nose to the stars, not knowing who or what would listen to his prayers, as it had always been with him. He opened his eyes to see a visitor he was very surprised to see. Aylie had made her way among them. And he held his breath for what might come. Surprisingly she actually... behaved appropriately. He was the one who knew both sides of the story, as well he could anyway. Perhaps their talk had left a mark on her? But it seemed... It seemed perhaps Byakko didn't acknowledge her... nor Akutan. It was Raka who welcomed her in. If they didn't interact with her... Things could get worse after Byakko's death. He pleaded with whatever entity listened to him, Please, please at least acknowledge her, accept it... something! But it felt like Hakan was always praying to the deaf deities since he never felt a pull to any one.

What in the...? Kyra... Stopped her trailblazing and shameful running to watch a huge procession coming after her father. All paying their respects. And the brown girl, and Kodiak... and... Arik? What in the hell did Arik have anything to do with any of this? Mister hidey-hole had no reason to see Byakko and Raka off as far as she knew. So in the shadows, she watched. She came back due to her curiosity, but hung back to remain unseen. She had to see this.

Arik watched as the others pulled ahead of him, the gathering would be large. And here he was prepared to pull all their attentions for a brief moment to truly honor their beloved Byakko and Raka. The words repeated in his head, they would not let up, it became a mantra, to the beat of his large paws upon the earth, the words felt like a drum. He felt a purpose rise within him, was this truly what he was meant for? To be a figure head? To be a mouth? To bless and to lead in ceremony? He was far from feeling confident he had any answers, and besides... what if this belief was not welcome at this occasion? Would the clan feel cheated from their beliefs or honored for its inclusiveness? He hadn't spent much time with them... at all. But he was vaguely aware that their beliefs did not mesh exactly with the Moon's Reign. Though She was gentle, she gave him the words, the words would be all he needed.

He raised his gaze up to see the backs of everyone's heads. He felt it before he saw it. The sacred place of the clan, where the dead and the spirits of whose bodies who were lost to this bloodline resided. He could almost feel the shifting of ethereal winds pass by him, flicker near him, weave their way through the crowd though he could not see them. He felt... at ease..? With a confidence he did not recognize he pulled himself to his full height. Rivaling that of the giant now laying across the threshold of life and death. For once Arik felt larger than life and with a steady gait, somber but slowly driven he made his way to the forefront.

Never before had Hakan seen the boy grow to be so tall. Has he always been this big?

With an even steady gaze, not entirely his own he captured the eyes of those around them, to land on Kodiak then last on the Queen. He bowed his head in respect to Mercury before addressing the throng and beginning the ceremony. He saw the moonstones, the ones Shimmah had brought back from the patrol. He had been enamored by them, the sacred echo of the tears from the Mother herself, embodied to be beacons for the starchildren.

"Thank you, Shimmah, for bringing the moonstones. Everyone gathered here today is to take one for themselves." The poor child was huddled in the arms of Raka. The elder remained radiant even as she danced at deaths door. "I hope these words are welcome. Please forgive me if this is intrusive. I feel I must offer these words and I pray they give you light to lead you on your way..."

Without waiting patiently for a response he raised his usually meek and mumbled voice to let those listening hear him, and to make his true voice heard among those gathered. With his eyes closed and his nose to the sky he began to recite the words as if he had known them by heart since the day he was born:

"May you find the tranquility of the running water,
The freedom of the flowing breeze
The peace of the quiet earth
The warmth of the steady flame

May you shine in the embrace of Mother Moon
You go from love, into love.
May our love carry you and light the way

Mother Moon, we open a gateway
for these willing ones to come to you.

This is an act of healing, a release from suffering,
an end to pain.

Take Byakko and Raka as children of the stars, and may they shine forever."

He brought his nose back down to point to the earth. He opened his eyes and nodded to Byakko and Raka... almost awkwardly again, crumpling upon himself, and began to retreat away from the gathering, back into the shadows. Away from the prying eyes, humbly and meekly once again, retreating away from the gathering and quickly escaping with a beating rapid heart. He was sure someone was on his tail to tell him how wrong he had been to intrude in such a way. To hide until he felt confident to show his face again. Maybe by then they would have all forgotten what he looked like.

ooc

Photo © Wes Hicks / modified coding © vixxie's codes

Pawprint she
10% Sweet Tea
Packmate
Pronouns: she

Adolph hesitated coming, but swallowed his guilt and pain and walked toward his old friends home.  He and Raka were passing away and Adolph had to face mortality, both theirs and his own.  Another life, another life too, gone before him when has old enough to live both their life times.

As he watched his son, Buckshot, and grandchildren near the dying pair, the elder stood by Alyie.  He looked at everyone's emotional reactions while trying to contain his own.  However, when Raka smiled at Hakan and him, his eyes were wide with surprise.  She remembered him.

He began to cry.

Adolph waited until the others spoke their peace before coming up to the couple.  To die with your love.  It was bittersweet.  Byakko was such a strong commanding nature who refused to bury his burdens.  Adolph was full of regrets and kept them shut but for a few others; Byakko never shied away from them.  Both were stubborn, but both were leaders who took her roles seriously.  They confided in each other.  Their children were united.  Adolph couldn't trust another brother better.

He wasn't ready for Byakko to leave.

"My friend..."

I'm sorry was what he wanted to say.  It wasn't appropriate.  So instead he pressed his head against the fringe dire's, and then against Raka's.

"I'm missing you already.  But I love you both very much."

Meanwhile Buckshot had said his peace to his in laws.  He stuttered, more distracted by his children's actions than the double passing in front of them.  He wanted to take them away so they didn't see the actual event.  Still, he would let them stay if they xhose.  Death was a part if life.  And it was their--

"Grampa."

Beatrice just learned it after her first word.  She used it a few times around Byakko.  A parting gift.

Buckshot stepped back as everyone gathered.  The ceremony, tears, the company.  In the end, he knew how it would go.  The pack would support them, and the family would bury them and everyone would remember their legacy...but he would be the one with his crying mate at night.  Holding her.  Shushing her.  Telling her she wasn't alone.  Comforting her and keeping the kids away from the grief mommy was going through.

Maybe Sara would recover faster.  Maybe she would be at peace.  Buckshot had to be ready for the worst.

8/3/18: Might be slow for the foreseeable future